As the old saying goes, “You are what you eat”. During an acne breakout, you can choose or add specific foods in your diet to help reduce and control the breakout issue. So here are some examples of food that can help fight acne.
Diet that helps Reducing Acne
• Omega 3 Fatty Acid: Helps to reduce inflammation and sensitivity.
Eg. Salmon, Flaxseeds, Almonds, Walnuts, Chia seeds
• Vitamin A and Beta Carotene: Vitamin A is a very effective antioxidant that minimizes the amount of oil the skin produces, they also reduce inflammation and encouraging cell turnover (natural exfoliation).
Eg. Tomato, Pumpkin, Carrot, Sweat Potato
• Vitamin B6: Help to regulate some of the hormone irregularities which can cause acne flare ups, especially during menstruation, as well as reduce the inflammation that co-exists with all acne flare ups, leaving you with calmer and clearer skin.
Eg. Avocado, Cauliflower, Sunflower Seeds, Walnuts
• Antioxidant and other vitamins such as Vit C & E: Helps to reduce free oxidative radical damage on skin and promote healing, thus helps in reducing scar tissue formation.
Eg. Green Leafy Vegetables, Orange, Lemon, Nuts, Berries, Watermelon, Green Tea
• Water water WATER!: Maintain a good level of hydration on your skin.
Food that should be avoided to reduce acne breakout:
- Sugary Foods and Drinks such as candy, soft drinks, sugary beverages, deserts and snacks.
- Greasy Oily Foods such as fast foods, fried food, chips, greasy Hot-Pot.
- Processed Foods like Ready-made meals or canned food should be avoided, aim for fresh home cooked meal.
Don’t do the following during acne breakout:
- Avoid pick or squeeze acne lesions to reduce scar formation.
- Avoid over washing your face as it will aggregate more inflammation of the acne, it will also dry up your skin’s natural hydration
- Avoid excessive make up on the face to avoid clogging pores and acne formation.
When to see a doctor?
- Home care and dieting does not work and your acne gets worse.
- In case for cystic acne (Deep seated acne that are large or filled with pus like fluid)
- You feel embarrassed or depressed because of acne.
To find out how Beau&Hans Clinic treat Acne and Post Acne Redness please visit:
To find out our success stories please visit: