IntimaLase® is a minimally invasive laser treatment available at Beau & Hans Centre Johor Bahru since 2014 that effectively treats Vaginal Relaxation Syndrome (VRS)
What is Vaginal Relaxation Syndrome (VRS)?
Many women starts to lose vaginal tightness after multiple childbirth or due to natural aging process, this is a common medical condition known as Vaginal Relaxation Syndrome (VRS). Multiple vaginal route deliveries contribute to worsening the condition due to repeated overstretching of the vaginal canal. Onset of menopause where the female hormone – estrogen reduces and finally ceases also contribute to this syndrome, in late cases, the inner lining of vaginal mucosal becomes dry and thin, leading to vaginal atrophy.
Are you currently suffering Vaginal Relaxation Syndrome?
Most women and their husbands or partners will complain of “loose vagina” or loss of vaginal tightness, reflected by reduced friction felt during intercourse, leading to a decrease or loss of sexual gratification.
Onset of vaginal atrophy leads to progressively worsening vaginal dryness, significantly impacting a woman’s sexual activity. Resulting in itchiness, discomfort and pain on intercourse. This can be temporarily improved by using vaginal lubricant gels during intercourse itself, but is also unpleasant for both male and female as it is often messy and takes away the spontaneity of sexual intercourse.
What are the various treatments for Vaginal Relaxation Syndrome?
There are various treatment options for VRS in the market ranging from behavioral (Kegel exercises), pharmacological therapies (hormonal, tightening creams and sprays) to various surgical procedures including invasive or minimal invasive methods. While behavioral and pharmacological therapies are noninvasive and safe, they have limited efficacy. On the other hand, surgical procedures give a better final result but also carry risk of vaginal scarring, decrease sensation due to nerve damage and long recovery time.
These lead to the rise of minimal invasive treatment for Vaginal Relaxation Syndrome that offers good result and also carry a high level of safety as well as a short recovery time.
Introducing FOTONA IntimaLase® : Laser Vaginal Tightening
Pioneered in Europe, the Fotona IntimaLase Laser Vaginal Rejuvenation has been used worldwide for the past 6 years. It is used in Gynecology purposes such as menopausal vaginal dryness, discomfort, pain or to improve sexual dissatisfaction due to vaginal relaxation syndrome.
IntimaLase® is a unique, patent-pending Er:YAG laser therapy for incisionless, non-invasive photothermal tightening of the vaginal canal. It works by:
- Utilizing Er: YAG laser with wavelength of 2940nm under “Smooth Mode”. Using non ablative technique, Smooth Mode technology safely emits thermal energy to the mucosal tissue of the vaginal canal.
- The thermal energy will stimulate collagen remodeling and synthesis of new collagen fibers in the vaginal canal, vestibule and introitus area.
- The final result of collagen neogenesis and remodeling is tightening of the vaginal canal as well as external properties of the female genital anatomy.
“Clinical studies associated with Fotona IntimaLase® laser vaginal treatments report 83% satisfaction rates and 90% sufficient or improved sexual activity 1 ”
What are the indications? Who are the candidates?
- Women who suffer vaginal atrophy with dryness leading to itching, painful sexual intercourse (Dyspareunia).
- Women who have undergone physiological changes associated with pregnancy, childbirth, or menopause.
- Ladies who seek to improve or increase sexual fulfillment and enjoyment for themselves and their partners.
All will benefit greatly from IntimaLase® laser vaginal tightening treatments.
This laser rejuvenation can also help mild stress urinary incontinence, a condition where there’s involuntarily urinating or dribbling of urine when sneezing, coughing or laughing. Please consult our doctors further to determine whether this treatment can also help to improve this particular situation.
IntimaLase® treatments are not recommended during menstrual cycle, pregnancy or active vaginal infections.
How are treatments performed?
IntimaLase® procedure takes about 15-30mins to complete and it involves a 2 steps process:
- 1st step: The entire vaginal wall is treated using a Fotona proprietary circular adapter, full-beam handpiece. The speculum is rotated 30 degrees after each pass, subsequently treating the entire vaginal canal.
- 2nd step: The surrounding area such as vestibule and introitus are treated directly with the laser energy.
How many treatments are required?
We usually recommend our patients to do 3 treatments spaced 1 month apart to achieve optimal vaginal-tightening results.
How do I take care of myself after the procedure?
The downtime is relatively minimal. Patients can generally resume sexual activities 7days after their IntimaLase® treatments. But it is highly advised to avoid vaginal douching or to carry heavy objects during the recovery period. Behaviour Exercise such as Kegal’s exercise is encouraged to promote an even better result.
In summary, here are the advantages of IntimaLase® Laser Vaginal Tightening:
“IntimaLase® is a unique, patent-pending Er:YAG laser therapy for incisionless, non-invasive photothermal tightening of the vaginal canal. Clinical studies have shown that IntimaLase® is an efficient, easy-to-perform, and safe procedure.”
- Laser Vaginal Tightening (LVT) – evaluation of a novel noninvasive laser treatment for vaginal relaxation syndrome
Gaviria J, Lanz J. Journal of the Laser and Health Academy, Vol. 2012, No. 1, 46-58.