Here at Beau&Hans Aesthetic Johor Bahru we will discuss the different cause and treatment available for Dark Eye Circles.
“Dark eye circles can affect men and women of any age, for a variety of reasons. Dark Eye Circles can make a person look much older and more tired than they really are. Many people often seek solutions to improve their dark circles appearance for cosmetic reasons. ”
What causes dark eye circles?
There are several factors that can contribute to the dark circles, including constricted blood vessels, accumulation of melanin, skin thinning around the eyes, etc. Here are some of the common causes for Dark Eye Circles:
Fatigue and Sleep Deprivation: Lack of sleep will create dull and pale skin, allowing blood vessels beneath your skin to be visible. It can also cause more fluid retention around the eyes and make them look puffy.
Aging Skin: As you get older, your skin becomes thinner, there’s also reduction of collagen and elastin in the skin tissue that allow the blood vessels beneath the skin to become more visible.
Too much eye strain: Prolong straining on your eyes by staring at the computer or handphone screen will enlarge the blood vessels around the eyes worsening dark circles with time.
Allergies: Allergies such as sinusitis, rhinitis will trigger the release of histamines and as result causing the vessels to dilate and be more visible beneath your skin. Plus it will also cause redness and puffy eyes too.
Frequent rubbing of the skin around the eye: This bad habit will cause the skin around the eyes to swell and break the tiny blood vessels lying there worsening dark circles and early aging skin symptoms around the eyes region such as fine lines.
Dehydration: It is one of the most common and yet most overlooked factor for dark eye circles. When the body is dehydrated, the eyes look sunken and skin becomes dull.
Sun Damaged Skin: Too much sun expose over the skin will cause melanin production and pigmentation built up around the eyes region.
Medical conditions: Medical illnesses such as thyroid disease and iron deficiency anemia can cause dark circles beneath your eyes.
How do I get rid of Dark Eye Circles?
Self Care Remedy:
Here are some home remedies that can help reduce the severity of the dark circles. Some of the more common methods include:
- Adequate moisturizer and sun protection: Apply adequate amount of moisturizer on the skin under the eyes to prevent dryness and also protect your skin from UV damage by applying sunblock throughout the day.
- Get adequate sleep: Allow yourself 6-8 hours of sleep a day to prevent sleep deprivation and reduce dark circles from appearing. Also make sure that all make up around the eyes are removed before lying on the bed.
- Apply cold compress and head elevation: Cold compress can help to shrink the dilated blood vessels, as a result reduces swelling and puffiness around the eyes. Head elevation with pillows will prevent accumulation of water retention under eyes to prevent puffiness also.
- Camouflage with Concealer: While concealers can temporary cover the uneven skin tone under the eyes, use them with proper care as some make up may cause dry skin and trigger allergy reaction.
What are the Various Medical Solutions treating Dark Eye Circles?
There are various medical treatment options for Dark Eye Circles in the market and depending on the cause of each dark eyes, your doctor will offer one or a combination of medical options to treat them.
These might include skin lightening creams which contain ingredients like Azelaic acid, Kojic Acid, Hydroquinone etc, Chemical Peeling, Light and Laser-based therapies, Fillers etc. Other invasive medical treatment for dark eye circles includes Surgical Eye Bag removal by blepharoplasty to reduce the enlarged eye bags.
We would like to discuss further some of the more common medical treatments:
Medical Laser Treatments:
Different types of lasers can target specific causative factor for dark eye circles, for example, Nd Yag Laser can reduce the melanin content under the dark eyes, while some laser are able to target dilated blood vessels instead, resurfacing laser can stimulate new collagen to promote healthier skin over the area.
- Pigmentation Reduction: Lutronic Nd Yag Spectra Laser treatment is designed to reduce skin pigmentation. The laser energy gently penetrates the tissue, specifically targeting melanin within cells. The damaged melanin is then removed by our body’s natural healing process. Surrounding tissue will all remains undamaged. In many cases numerous sessions are required to maximize brightening results.
- Fine Line Reduction, Skin Tightening: FOTONA Spectro Laser is the most ideal option for deep tissue remodeling, skin resurfacing and stimulating the production of new collagen. It is commonly used for rejuvenation treatments for anti-ageing or tightening purposes, reduction of fine lines and smoothing out irregularities on the skin.
Hyaluronic acid dermal filler can be injected into the tissue under the eye (Tear Trough) to augment the sunken area just below your eye bag. By replenishing the volume loss under the eye, one can see immediate results with dark eyes reduction.
How long does Fillers last?
Depending on factors such as age, skin type, lifestyle, types of filler used etc, the longevity of the filler varies among individuals, it can last from 6-18months.
Now, by knowing that several lifestyle habits can cause dark eye circles, it is good to start by changing your habit or lifestyle to help reduce or prevent the formation of dark eye circles. There are several medical treatments available to treat dark eye circles, such as using medical skin care products, or undergoing laser treatment or filler correction. Hence, always seek help from a doctor for further dark eye circles correction .